As a new florist, it can be overwhelming to think about all of the supplies you need to have on hand for a successful wedding day. From tools to mechanics, it's important to have everything organized and ready to go. In this post, we will break down the top 10 essential supplies that every new florist needs to have in their kit to create beautiful wedding designs.
Why is it important for a florist to have a good pair of floral snips? Good floral shears are essential for giving your stems a clean cut. Seasoned florists use different types of snips, shears and scissors for different tasks. Here are some of the essentials that round out any florists toolbox.
Fine Tipped Shears
Fine-tipped shears are perfect for helping with detail work and cutting delicate stems. If you need to cut soft stems like anemones and ranunculus, using a smaller set of snips will make this a breeze. Instead of shredding the stem (which can happen sometimes with larger shears) opt for a smaller scissor with a fine-pointed tip. Fine-tipped floral shears are also a must for any detail work that you need to do, such as snipping off one bad leaf from a larger stem or cutting small buds and sprigs of greenery needed for small pieces such as boutonnieres and corsages. We like these snips from Joyce Chen. While they may have originally been intended for the kitchen, they have a fine pointed top that is perfect for detail work, while also being strong enough to cut through stems... or a chicken bone. You pick!
Floral shears are a versatile tool in the florist's kit. They are primarily used for cutting and trimming thicker, harder stems that fine-tipped shears can't easily handle. Their robust design and larger size provide the extra strength needed to cut through hardy stems cleanly and efficiently. Ideal for use with flowers like roses, carnations, or snapdragons, floral shears help to ensure a clean cut, promoting better water absorption and ultimately, a longer vase life for your creations. Whether you're creating a grand centerpiece or a simple bouquet, floral shears are a valuable asset for every florist. We like these floral shears from Flower Moxie Supply. They are easy to hold and strong enough to cut through thicker stems!
Loppers are an absolute necessity when it comes to heavier-duty tasks in floral design. Often, florists will need to cut through large branches or thick-stemmed flowers that standard shears just can't handle. This is where a good pair of loppers comes in handy. They are specifically designed for cutting through thick, tough branch material, making them a crucial tool for arrangements that incorporate elements like woody stems, large foliage, or rustic accents. Their long handles provide the leverage needed to make clean cuts without straining your hands. Moreover, a clean cut ensures the stem can absorb water efficiently, promoting the health and longevity of your design. Whether you're working with branches for a large-scale installation or a rustic bridal bouquet, having a pair of loppers in your toolkit will make your work much easier and more efficient. We recommend these loppers from Fiskars for their durability and superior cutting performance.
Ribbon scissors are another staple in a florist's tool kit, and they serve a very specific purpose. Ribbon scissors are designed with sharp, fine blades that can effortlessly cut through ribbons and fabrics without fraying their edges. When it comes to floristry, presentation is key. A frayed ribbon can potentially detract from the overall aesthetic of the floral arrangement. Therefore, having a dedicated pair of scissors for ribbon ensures that every cut is clean and precise, keeping your ribbons and fabrics looking neat and professional. Additionally, using the same scissors for ribbon and plant material can dull the blades faster, so maintaining separate scissors helps extend the life of your tools. We highly recommend these ribbon scissors from Fiskars, known for their sharpness and durability. They provide a clean, smooth cut every time, making your work with ribbons a joy.
Zip ties can be used to secure bouquets, attach floral foam cages to ceremony arches, and even bundle stems together to create larger floral installations. Having a few different sizes on hand can make all the difference in your designs.
The Utility of Zip Ties in Floral Design
Zip ties, also known as cable ties, are a versatile tool in a florist's kit and are used in a variety of ways. As a florist, here are a few ways you can utilize zip ties:
- Securing Bouquets: Zip ties can be used to secure bouquets and ensure that all the floral elements stay in place. After arranging your flowers to your liking, simply fasten a zip tie around the stems ensuring a tight, secure grip.
- Attaching Floral Foam: Floral foam is often used in creating intricate floral designs and arrangements. Zip ties can be used to secure these foams onto ceremony arches, trellises, or other structures, providing a stable base for your design.
- Securing Decor Elements: Apart from flowers, zip ties can also be used to fasten decor elements such as ribbons, ornamental butterflies, and other decorative accessories.
Remember, when using zip ties, ensure to cut off the excess length after securing it for a clean and professional look. Carrying a few different sizes of zip ties in your kit can come in handy for different types of tasks. We prefer using a 12" size for larger items and a smaller 4" size for detail work!
Floral Stem Tape
Why is Floral stem tape important for a new florist? Floral stem tape is stretchy and perfect for holding together small flower bundles to create boutonnieres and corsages. Floral stem tape plays a crucial role in the toolbox of a florist. Its primary function is to provide a secure hold on floral arrangements, especially when creating small, intricate work such as boutonnieres and corsages. With its stretchy and self-adhesive properties, it allows florists to bind together small bunches of flowers tightly and neatly. For these reasons, floral stem tape is not just useful, but an essential part of the florist's toolkit.
Why would a first-time florist need waterproof tape? Waterproof tape is essential for keeping mechanics in place. Florists use waterproof tape to secure the mechanics for ceremony arrangements and centerpieces. It's a must-have for outdoor weddings.
Waterproof floral tape is an essential tool for florists because of its ability to provide a secure grip on flower arrangements, especially in moisture-prone environments. There are several reasons why a florist would need waterproof floral tape:
- Outdoor Events: For outdoor events, like weddings or garden parties, weather conditions can vary. Waterproof floral tape ensures that the mechanics of the arrangement stay firmly in place, even if exposed to elements like rain or high humidity.
- Wet Floral Foam Arrangements: Florists commonly use wet floral foam for fresh flower arrangements. Once bonded and adhered to a dry surface, the tape can withstand moisture and water making it ideal to tape floral-grids or secure wet floral foam.
- Durability and Longevity: Waterproof floral tape can withstand varying temperatures and moisture levels, ensuring that the tape holds up, no matter the environment.
These are just a few of the many reasons why waterproof floral tape is a must-have in a florist's toolkit.
Clear Floral Tape
Clear floral tape is important for new florists to use when creating centerpiece arrangements in clear glass vases. It creates a clean look while still holding your flowers in place.
Clear floral tape is an invaluable tool for every florist, particularly when working on arrangements that necessitate a polished and uncluttered look. Here are a few reasons why a florist would need clear floral tape:
- Creating a Grid: Clear floral tape is often used to create a grid across the opening of a vase. This grid helps to hold each stem in place, allowing for precise positioning of flowers and facilitating detailed arrangement designs.
- Minimizing Visual Interference: For designs that use clear vases or containers, clear floral tape is an excellent tool. Its transparency ensures that the tape does not interfere with the overall visual aesthetic of the arrangement, which might not be the case with other, more visible tapes.
- Enhancing Stability: Clear floral tape can provide additional stability to floral arrangements by keeping the stems firmly secured, thus reducing the risk of them moving out of place.
While every tape has its specific uses in the world of floral design, clear floral tape is a must-have for designs that require a sleek, unobstructed view of the arrangement's structure and composition.
Chicken wire can be used inside of vases, compotes, and urns as a structure for creating a floral design. It's also great for creating large-scale installations, like ceremony backdrops or hanging floral installations.
Chicken wire is a valuable addition to a florist's toolkit for several key reasons:
- Providing Structure: Chicken wire can be molded and shaped to fit inside vases, urns, and compotes, where it provides a structure that florists can use to anchor and arrange their floral designs.
- Large-Scale Installations: For larger floral installations, like ceremony backdrops or hanging floral displays, chicken wire can be used to create a base framework. This allows florists to construct large-scale designs with stability and structural integrity.
- Encouraging Creativity: The flexible nature of chicken wire allows florists to get creative with their arrangements. It can be manipulated into a variety of shapes, permitting unique and inventive designs.
- Eco-Friendly Alternative: Chicken wire can be reused time and again, making it a more sustainable alternative to floral foam for environmentally-conscious florists.
In conclusion, chicken wire's versatility and reusability make it a go-to tool for florists looking to create both small-scale and large-scale designs.
Bind wire can be used to tie bouquets, as a decorative element on boutonnieres, as the base for flower crowns or garlands, or to help secure mechanics on large-scale installations. Having a variety of colors and sizes on hand can add unique details to your designs.
Bind wire is an essential tool for a florist due to its strength and flexibility. Here are a few reasons why a florist would need bind wire in their toolkit:
- Tying Bouquets: Bind wire is often used to secure bouquets. Its strength and flexibility allow florists to tie together various stems, creating a firm and durable hold. This ensures that the bouquet maintains its shape and overall aesthetic.
- Decorative Element: In addition to its practical uses, bind wire can also serve as a decorative element. Available in a variety of colors, it can be used to add unique details and accents to boutonnieres, enhancing their visual appeal.
- Constructing Flower Crowns and Garlands: Bind wire is an excellent tool for crafting flower crowns and garlands due to its malleability. It can be easily bent and shaped, allowing florists to create intricate designs.
- Securing Mechanics on Large-Scale Installations: For larger floral installations, bind wire can be used to secure the mechanics, ensuring the stability and durability of the design.
In essence, bind wire's versatility, strength, and flexibility make it a must-have tool for both beginner and experienced florists.
Leaf and Thorn Stripper
A leaf and thorn stripper makes processing flowers a breeze. It removes thorns and leaves quickly and efficiently, which saves you time and makes designing less of a hassle.
Leaf and thorn strippers are an essential tool in a florist's toolkit, especially when it comes to prepping flowers. Here are a few reasons why a florist would need a leaf and thorn stripper:
- Efficiency and Speed: Leaf and thorn strippers enable efficient and fast removal of leaves and thorns from flower stems. This helps florists save considerable time during the preparation process, especially when dealing with large quantities of flowers.
- Safety: By using a leaf and thorn stripper, florists can avoid getting pricked by thorns, ensuring a safe and comfortable work environment. This is especially important when working with roses and other thorny plants.
- Preserving Flower Health: Proper removal of thorns and leaves can help prolong the life of the flowers by preventing bacterial growth. A leaf and thorn stripper can help achieve this without damaging the stem.
- Aesthetics: Stripping leaves and thorns from the part of the stem that will be submerged in water presents a cleaner, more professional look in clear vases.
In essence, a leaf and thorn stripper is a valuable tool that enhances efficiency, safety, and aesthetics in floral design, and contributes to the overall health of the flowers.
Hydration buckets in the appropriate sizes for hydrating flowers are essential for keeping your blooms fresh and healthy. Be sure to change the water daily to extend the life of your flowers.
Hydration buckets are crucial for wedding preparations for a florist for a number of reasons:
- Preserving Flower Freshness: Wedding ceremonies often require flowers to be prepared and brought in a day or two before the event. Hydration buckets are essential in preserving the freshness of these flowers, ensuring they look their best on the big day.
- Enhancing Flower Longevity: Hydration buckets provide the necessary water supply to flowers, extending their lifespan. This is particularly important for wedding flowers, which need to stay vibrant and fresh for extended periods.
- Transporting Flowers: Hydration buckets can also serve as practical tools for transporting flowers from the florist's shop to the wedding venue. This ensures the flowers stay hydrated during transit.
- Preparation of Large Quantities: Weddings often require large amounts of flowers. Hydration buckets, especially those of varying sizes, allow florists to prepare and hydrate large quantities of flowers at once.
- Proper Hydration: Some flowers need to be fully submerged in water for a period of time to hydrate properly. Using hydration buckets allows for this, ensuring that the flowers are fully saturated and prepared for arrangement.
In summary, hydration buckets are not just a tool, but a necessity for florists during wedding preparation. We recommend using a 1.5 gallon bucket for medium length stems, such as poms, cremones and spray roses and a 2.5 gallon bucket for blooms such as roses, snapdragons, stock and greenery. These buckets ensure the flowers remain fresh and vibrant, prolonging their lifespan which is crucial for the success of any wedding floral arrangement.
Small watering can
A small watering can makes it easy to refill vases on site. It's important to keep your arrangements hydrated throughout the event, and a portable watering can is a game-changer.
A small watering can is an essential tool for a florist at a wedding for several reasons:
- Maintaining Arrangement Freshness: During a wedding, floral arrangements can lose moisture and start to wilt. A small watering can allows the florist to hydrate the flowers and maintain their freshness on the day of the event.
- Portability: A small watering can is portable and easy to carry around, making it convenient for the florist to move around the venue and hydrate the different floral arrangements.
- Precision Watering: The narrow spout of a small watering can allows for precise watering, avoiding any water spills on the table arrangements and other decor.
- Emergency Situations: In case of emergency scenarios where a flower arrangement gets knocked over or a vase breaks, a small watering can enables the florist to quickly hydrate and fix the flowers.
- Prolonging Flower Lifespan: Continuous hydration helps prolong the lifespan of the flowers, ensuring they look vibrant and fresh throughout the event.
In essence, a small watering can is an invaluable tool for a florist during a wedding, ensuring that the beauty and freshness of the floral arrangements are maintained throughout the event.
As a new florist, having the right tools and supplies on hand can make all the difference in your wedding designs. From floral snips to hydration buckets, each supply plays an important role in creating beautiful arrangements. With these 10 essential supplies in your kit, you'll be ready to take on any wedding design challenge that comes your way. Happy designing!
Pin for later!